Monday, February 7, 2011
Vegetable Flecked Bread
Recipe adapted from the "Enchanted Broccoli Forest": Vegetable Flecked bread
1. The sponge: 2 T dry yeast, 1.5 C warm water, drop of molasses. Mix and set for 5 minutes.
2. Add: 2 C white flour, 2 C whole wheat flour. Mix, cover and set in a warm place for 30-60 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, mix 2 C mashed, cooked squash, 1 C cooked grated golden beets, 3 T molasses, 0.25 C melted butter, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 0.5 tsp cloves.
4. Add the squash mix to the risen sponge. Add flour 1 Cup at a time, alternating between white and wheat, as you mix the dough. When it gets hard to mix, begin kneading. Knead for 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary. You may need 6-8 cups additional flour in this step. Place covered in a BIG oiled bowl and let rise in a warm spot for an hour or until doubled in size.
5. Punch down the dough and knead a little bit more. Shape into loaves and put in/on greased pans. I made one bread loaf plus 18 large dinner rolls. I make dinner rolls by dividing each portion into three parts and rolling each into a ball, then putting the 3 balls into a muffin pan socket. Cover dough with damp towel and let rise for an hour or until doubled again.
6. Bake at 350 - 375 until done. Loaves take about 40 minutes, rolls about 20.